Monday, May 2, 2011

Halls of Fame

Walking through the halls
of the elderly care facility,
the endless rhythmic sounds
of oxygen cannulas,
droning televisions,
nurse call buttons
sought to lull my senses.

Yet my eyes could not avoid
the abundance of brokenness, frailty,
shadows of those who once were whole, 
vibrant, capable people
making significant and generous
contributions to society.

I struggled,
longing to be encouraged,
to see beauty
amid eyes that are dim,
hands that are bent,
minds that are disconnected.

My daughter came around the corner
with lilting step and charming smile,
her hours of work in the Alzheimer’s wing completed.

On the drive home,
she delighted in sharing stories
of the talkative advances of one who was normally quiet,
of the benefits of singing to the residents while she puts them to bed,
of the sweet little lady that actually noticed her new shoes…

In a flood of realization, it became clear;
my eyes are dim,
my hands are bent,
my mind is disconnected.

In anguish, I cry out to You, Lord;
please give me Your eyes to see,
Your hands to serve,
Your mind to be understanding.
~ae

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of mercies 
and God of all comfort, 
Who comforts us in all our affliction 
so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction 
with the comfort 
with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”  
~II Corinthians 1:3,4

No comments:

Post a Comment