Monday, September 3, 2012

Boundless Creativity


“As she grows in ability and understanding, she will learn and experience freedom of expression and originality within the bounded creativity of ever-increasing limitations.” 

Have you ever had something you said a long time ago return to fester in an entirely different emotional tangent?

Originally, this thought process was stimulated by an experience with my 2 year old granddaughter.

Take my virtual hand for a moment and walk with me up the sidewalk to the large glass entrance door.  Wait while I enter the security code…  There…  Now we may go in.

Elderly people… 
Some are wheel chair bound, some are in varying stages of mental capability, some are no longer physically able to care for themselves, some have no relatives nearby, some have no relatives willing to be nearby, some have no relatives at all.
Some are simply lonely.

Limitations…
Ever-increasing limitations …and what about learning and experiencing “freedom of expression and originality within the bounded creativity” of these limitations?  Limitations which are anticipated with excitement in a 2 year old, are translated into dread and anxiety as the proximity of our own mortality draws increasingly near.

Aging is a stark and aggressively definitive expression of growing neediness, escalating dependency, cumulative restrictions, and narrowing possibilities, all cleverly disguised as loss of value, decreased worth, and hopelessness.

Godless societies will always associate limitations with hopelessness.

Hopelessness 
is Not in God’s Character

“Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?...
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.” 
~Psalm 139:7-10

As my skills and abilities decrease, so my accompanying expectations must be resourcefully reevaluated, creatively modified, or boldly eliminated.  Yet each defining, limiting, restricting factor does not, in and of itself, establish purpose or goodness.
  
“…the bounded creativity of being able to build something beautiful
based on the character your ingredients already possess...” 
~Kate Buccigross

   But we have this treasure 
in jars of clay (empty vessels) 
to show that this all-surpassing power 
is from God and not from us...” 
~II Corinthians 4:7

The One who shared the yoke when I was able will continue to share my yoke when I am not.  He will remain my source of challenges, benefits, focus, guidance, pacing, and confidence toward the task at hand.

Functioning within the limitations of obedience and dependency will allow me to join the Master in His work as it is accomplished.  In doing so, it will become increasingly more obvious that the Hands of the Creator are filled with expressions of originality and boundless creativity far beyond limitations.” 

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heaven-laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your soul.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
~Matthew 11:28-30

Freedom is found not in the removal of a yoke, rather in the exchange of an unsuitable yoke partner for the One whose sufficiency is unsurpassed.


“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly
beyond all that we ask or think,
according to the power that works within us, 
to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
to all generations
forever and ever.” 
~Ephesians 3:20,21

No comments:

Post a Comment