Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Chair

   a chair...
a place of distinction,
a place from which to preside over important meetings,
a place to sit and enjoy a meal,
a place to position myself to put on shoes,
a place from which to observe,
a place to enhance lengthy conversation,
a place to strategically station myself within reach of controls,
a place to be strapped into for potentially unsafe journeys,
a place to be served,
a place to rest.

   a chair...
an object common to nearly every household and occupation,
creatively modified to accommodate specific applications,
easily taken for granted.

   a chair...
an unspoken representation of
confidence,
security,
trust.

   a chair...
pushed off to the corner of the room
labeled with a handwritten note
"Broken",
thus deemed
unreliable,
useless,
unable,
unsafe.

I felt autonomous, 
self-sufficient, 
independent.
I felt strong and praiseworthy.

My will,
my strength,
my heart... came to the end of itself.

I am broken.
I am unreliable, useless, unable, unsafe...

I am completely dependent upon
His gift of life,
His reason to sing,
His wisdom to discern,
His strength to believe, 
His merciful touch.

...and from His immeasurable grace
He gently and tenderly replaces my brokenness,
and becomes
the Perfect, the Eternal, the Unbreakable...
   my place of distinction,
   my place from which to preside over important meetings,
   my place to sit and enjoy a meal,
   my place to position myself to put on shoes,
   my place from which to observe,
   my place to enhance lengthy conversation,
   my place to strategically station myself within reach of controls,
   my place to be strapped into for potentially unsafe journeys,
   my place to be served,
   my place to rest...

"The righteous cry,
and the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
~Psalm 34:17,18

My will,
my strength,
my heart... came to the end of itself, but...

"... His kingdom will have no end." ~Luke 1:33

No comments:

Post a Comment