Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Overwhelmed

Absurd...
that someone could actually
forget one's own birthday
or fail to remember the anniversary
of the death of one's child.

I did.

I was completely and entirely
overwhelmed...
...once by unspeakable joy
...once by unbearable sorrow.

Just days after the birth
of our first child,
my mother-in-law presented
a bouquet of flowers
and a small gift tied with a pink bow...
... not for our baby girl...
... for me! 
It was my birthday.
I could not have been more surprised!

"So Peter was kept in the prison,
but prayer for him was being made fervently by the church to God...
And behold, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared...
and his chains fell off his hands...

"When he knocked at the door of the gate,
a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer. 
When she recognized Peter's voice,
because of her great joy she did not open the gate,
but ran in and announced
that Peter was standing in front of the gate. 
They said to her, 'You are out of your mind!'" 
~Acts 12:5-15

After a week
of vigilance day and night
by my Dad's bedside,
my body went through the motions
of traveling homeward
while my heart remained there with him.
He breathed his last...
... on the very same day,
only six years ago,
that our baby boy's heart
stopped...
...an entire week went by
before I recalled
that tender memory.

"Behold, an hour is coming, and has already come
for you to be scattered, each to his own home,
and to leave Me alone;
and yet I am not alone,
because the Father is with Me. 

"These things I have spoken to you,
so that in Me
you may [be overwhelmed by] peace. 

"In the world
you have tribulation,
but take courage;
I have overcome the world." 
~John 16:32,33

"When my spirit was overwhelmed within me,
You knew my path." ~Psalm 142:3

"Now to Him
who is able to keep you from stumbling,
and to make you stand
in the presence of His glory
blameless with great joy."
~Jude vs.24

No comments:

Post a Comment