Thursday, June 30, 2011

Noxious

One day last summer
while at a multi-family picnic,
my teen-aged daughters
ran playfully to the pavilion
where the adults were visiting
and presented me with a small bouquet
of wildflowers.

I received them with delight.

However,
a friend gently cautioned us
that we should be careful
about picking certain wildflowers.

He pointed out a few particular ones in the bunch
and informed us that they were noxious plants
and should not be handled.

I felt deceived
by a very real danger
in the embodiment of something so lovely.

I felt sad
as I placed the little gathering of blossoms
far away from the picnic tables
so that others would not see them
or touch them.

I felt hesitation
to trust in my own naivety,
for such grave possibility
now loomed as a dark cloud
hovering over what once was
a simple delight.

I felt motivated
to learn more about
how to discern between
harmless plants
and those which are unsafe,
recognizing the value of prevention.

Noxious
Harmful, Toxic, Poisonous,
Deadly, Lethal, Venomous,
Injurious, Deleterious

Obnoxious
Loathsome, Hateful, Horrible,
Insufferable, Intolerable, Detestable,
Unbearable, Abhorrent, Abominable,
Despicable, Repugnant, Repellent

The two words are nearly the same,
yet one is purely scientific
while the other is entirely relational.

The two words are nearly the same,
yet God has chosen
to provide the opportunity
   for redemption,
      for purification,
         for regeneration
to one...

the relational one...


me.

"For God did not send His Son into the world
to condemn the world,
but in order that the world might be saved
through Him."
~John 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment