Monday, June 13, 2011

Servi-Tude

Have you ever stood and watched
as someone serves someone else?

...it feels like reading another person's diary,
...it feels like being two feet taller than everyone in the room,
...it feels like sitting between two engaged people while they're looking at each other.

Yet somehow, the awkwardness of being an outsider
is overwhelmed by the awe and wonder
of the moment.

There is something holy
about serving
and being served.

Almost tangible,
the action of sincere, benevolent, compassionate service
fills the air with its presence,
draws eyes and ears with a penetrating, nearly visible force,
and leaves behind a lingering essence of beauty
which cannot be duplicated.

The urge to emulate the one who serves
is a commanding influence.

Yet this powerful draw to serve pales in comparison to
the overwhelming repulsion
of ever having to imitate the one who is being served.

Why do I come to Jesus?
Does my need drive me to Him
simply to be satisfied?

Is my desire for me
my preliminary motivation?
...my gauge of success?
...my measure of fulfillment?

Did Jesus ever heal a body
or meet a physical need
without initiating
a soul shock?
...a faith stimulus?
...an intimate heart connection?

"Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, 
you are looking for Me, 
not because you saw miraculous signs 
but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 
Do not work for food that spoils, 
but for food that endures to eternal life, 
which the Son of Man will give you." 
~John 6:26,27

Why does Jesus come to me?
"He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him,
'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?'  
 Jesus replied, 
'You do not realize now what I am doing, 
but later you will understand.... 
Unless I wash (serve) you, 
you have no part with Me.'"
~John 13:6-8 

"Remember the words I spoke to you:   
'No servant is greater than his master.'  
 If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.  
 If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also." 
~John 15:20

"...the Son of Man did not come to be served, 
but to serve, 
and to give His life as a ransom for many." 
~Matthew 20:28

No comments:

Post a Comment