Sunday, February 27, 2011

Grant Request

The opportunity was presented to me
to do something I’ve never done before;
write a grant request.

I swallowed the lump in my throat,
accepted the commission
and took the paperwork home
to begin my research.

It seemed so big and important
and I felt so small and insignificant in comparison.

Who is the keeper of this enormous source of funds?
There is no face, no emotion,
no soul-revealing eyes,
no way to perceive what is expected.

I simply must prepare my appeal
by emulating other sample grant requests,
scan it into cyberspace
and wait to see if this colossal,
mysterious, unfamiliar entity,
this Wizard of Oz,
would wave its magic wand
and *poof*
… a check in the mail.

And so I did.
And so I wait.

But what if it didn’t see fit
to deem us worthy of its money?
What if some other grant writer
has designed a more appealing presentation?

Doesn’t it know that we sincerely
desire this money for the betterment of the community?
Doesn’t it know that when its resources meet our resourcefulness,
the effectiveness of our ability to serve would be multiplied?

Well, I suppose that since it has so much money to distribute,
it must know the best way to determine who is most deserving.
In any case, all I can do is try to make us look good,
ask really nicely
and hope it all works out.

“It happened that while Jesus was praying in a certain place,
after He had finished, one of His disciples said to Him,
‘Lord, teach us to pray…”
~Luke 11:1


“Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in Heaven,
Hallowed be Your Name.
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
on earth as it is in Heaven.

‘Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.’”
~Matthew 6:9-13


As I swallow the lump in my throat,
accept the commission
and take His Word to heart,
it feels as if I am just beginning my research.

He is so big and important
and I so small and insignificant in comparison.

Who is the Keeper of this enormous source of hope?
Can I see His Face, His Hand at work?
How do I know what is expected?

“Ask rain from the Lord at the time of the spring rain,
The Lord who makes the storm clouds;
and He will give them showers of rain,
vegetation in the field to each man.” 
~Zechariah 10:1

“Come, let us return to the Lord… let us know,
let us press on to know the Lord. 
His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
and He will come to us like the rain,
like the spring rain watering the earth.” 
~Hosea 6:1-3

God designed prayer
as a means of two-way communication;
for me to converse with Him
and He with me,
for me to hear Him,
to be quiet before Him,
…to know Him.

His desire is for a close relationship with me
and I with Him.
He has given us His Word,
His Holy Spirit,
His Son;
through these, all cause for doubt or uncertainty
is overwhelmed with
His assurance of salvation,
of love, of life, of truth,
of hope.

His ways are higher than mine,
His thoughts wiser than mine;
Who Is He?
…and who am I that He is mindful of me?
~ae

“Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! 
How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 
For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who became His counselor? 
Or who has first given to Him
that it might be paid back to Him again? 
For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. 
To Him be the glory forever.  Amen.” 
~Romans 11:33-36

“Be anxious for nothing,
but in everything by prayer and supplication
with thanksgiving,
let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God,
which surpasses all comprehension,
will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus.”
~Philippians 4:6

1 comment:

  1. a great, comforting truth--beautifully expressed.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete