Friday, February 4, 2011

Whispers

A scent,
   a sound,
      a flavor…

Whispers of the past
stir reminiscence;
a wafting sweet memory,
a tingling sensation of déjà vu,
almost there for me to grasp with delight,
but not quite.

Each fleeting reunion rushes by,
flickers for an instant,
and is gone.
One leaves a joyous aroma,
another bequeaths its melancholy hues,
yet another is likened to praises
silently savored through hands of a hula halao.

But none slip away without leaving
a gentle kiss of contentment
on my heart’s face.

Even sorrows of old
carry tender memories
of compassion,
of trusting,
of waiting.

There is no room
for regret.

“Remember my affliction…
surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me. 

“This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. 
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
for His compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness. 

“‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul,
therefore I have hope in Him.” 
~Lamentations 3:19-24

No comments:

Post a Comment