Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Thoughtlessness

Bookmark,
speed dial,
kitchen timer,
cruise control,
iron’s automatic shut off feature,
programmable morning coffee preset,

… each is so efficiently designed that, once initiated,
there is no further need to think about it.

Yet each of these valued features
has a problem… a glitch.

What if…
…my bookmark falls out; what page was I on?
…I need to borrow someone else’s phone; what number do I dial?
…the kitchen timer dings when I’m downstairs; will the casserole burn?
…my truck approaches a portion of icy road; will my brakes
        stop the cruise setting or spin the truck?
…I get interrupted by a phone call; will I be late for my appointment
        waiting for the iron to warm up again?
…the electricity flickers; will I ever wake up?  (Actually, I don’t drink coffee.
        I use the alarm setting on my phone……… oh…)

Handy? 
        Yes.
Brainless? 
        Well, not exactly.
Brain trained to set and forget in order to manifest its powers elsewhere? 
        !

Sometimes, forgetfulness is a result of the inability to remain focused.
Usually, to forget is to choose to not remember.
Whether premeditated or unintentional,
to forget is to be distracted by something else
deemed more worthy of time and energy.

Thoughtlessness
if you think about it,
is not really lacking in thought,
rather it is redirected thought;
choosing to exchange the necessary or the valuable
for convenience,
comfort,
desire.


Thoughtfulness, then,
expresses purpose;
being intentional,
giving up other potential brain occupation,
stepping out of a comfort zone,
selfless effort,
love.
~ae

"Can a woman forget her nursing child
and have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My Hands."
~Isaiah 49:15,16


“…and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said,
‘Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you;
do this in remembrance of Me.’ 

In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying,
‘This cup is the new covenant in My blood. 
This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.’ 

For as often as you eat this bread
and drink this cup,
you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.” 
~I Corinthians 11:24-26

1 comment:

  1. I like this one - a LOT! :) Thanks, Arlene for saying what I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete