Saturday, January 14, 2012

Emulate Imitation

My children are voracious imitators;
their attraction to mimic is irresistible,
their appetite for emulation insatiable.

Whether they are copying what they hear in movies
or simply impersonating friends, acquaintances and strangers,
their replication of voices and facial expressions
is awe inspiring.

It’s an art.

Imitation involves intricate listening skills,
complex body language awareness,
and a multifaceted eye for detail.

There is a constant awareness of others,
instinctively tracking tones, accents,
tongue usage, volume variations,
posture, movement, speed, timing…

Every conversation in our house
is peppered with a colorful array of imitations.

As a follower of Jesus, I am instructed
to imitate God…

“Therefore be imitators of God,
as beloved children;
and walk in love,
just as Christ also loved you
and gave Himself up for us,
an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.”
 ~Ephesians 5:1

…and to imitate the faith of other believers…

“I do not write these things to shame you,
but to admonish you as my beloved children. 
For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ,
yet you would not have many fathers,
for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. 
Therefore I exhort you,
be imitators of me.”
~I Corinthians 4:14-16

“Remember those who led you,
who spoke the word of God to you;
and considering the result of their conduct,
imitate their faith.”
~Hebrews 13:7

The art of imitation
offers a heightened awareness
of what it is to “follow” Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment