Saturday, January 21, 2012

Innocence

*Guest Post... by Grace Eldridge

I saw wide dark eyes when I opened the door. I had expected her to be asleep.

“G’morning little girl.” I took care not to talk too loudly or startle her.

“Hi Adie Gace.” She spoke in a barley audible whisper.

My little two-year-old niece slowly stood up and, when I held out my hands, stepped between them and waited to be lifted. She stood there, looking so small and also so trusting. How sweet is innocence! I didn’t have to pick her up. I could even strike her down, but she didn’t know that.

This little one wouldn't understand the sudden pain that blurred my vision. Sharp, cold pain. Pain for other little children who have felt things that innocence has not. Having just started to grow out of childhood myself, I am just beginning to understand what it is. The marring and distortion of childhood innocence is, by far, the hardest thing for me to forgive.

It seems that there are so many children who don’t have a true mother or father, or anyone else who would know them or their importance. In reality, every child, innocent or seemingly otherwise, has a Father who will teach them innocence. He, also, is stronger than I, and can forgive the ones who have so wronged his little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment