Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Did I stutter or...

Did I stutter or are your ears flappin’?
Listening is not just a valuable relational skill
or best business practices.

Listening is an essential part of prayer,
and the key to access the ability to hear
and to be heard
is God Himself.

Selective Hearing
“And they said to Moses,
‘You speak to us, and we will listen;
but do not let God speak to us, lest we die.’”

Too Self-Absorbed to Listen
“If one gives an answer before he hears,
it is his folly and shame.”

Drawing Near to Hear
“Whoever is of God
hears the words of God.
The reason why you do not hear them
is that you are not of God.” 
~John 8:47

Listening with Respect
“Know this, my beloved brothers:
let every person be quick to hear,
slow to speak, slow to anger.”
~ James 1:19

Prayerful Listening
“He who has an ear,
let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches…”
~Revelation 2:7

Able and Attentive Listener
“If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.”
Mark 4:23

Completely Dependent Listener
“My sheep hear my voice,
and I know them, and they follow Me.
I give them eternal life,
and they will never perish,
and no one will snatch them out of My hand.”

Invaluable Listening Skills
“My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord 
and find the knowledge of God.”

Costs and Benefits of Listening
“Take care then how you hear,
for to the one who has, more will be given,
and from the one who has not,
even what he thinks that he has will be taken away.”
~Luke 8:18

Listening Pleasure
 “Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak,
and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop as the rain,
my speech distill as the dew,
like gentle rain upon the tender grass,
and like showers upon the herb.
I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!”
~Deuteronomy 32:1-3

God Listens
“And this is the confidence that we have toward Him,
that if we ask anything according to His will
He hears us.”
~1 John 5:14

God Always Hears
“So they removed the stone [from Lazerus’ tomb]. 
Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said,
“Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.
“I knew that You always hear Me;
but because of the people standing around
I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me.”
~John 11:41,42

Words of Life Received
“But he answered, “It is written,
“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word
that comes from the mouth of God.’”
~Matthew 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment