Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sticks and Stones

“Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but names will never hurt me!”

Do children still chant this taunting ditty on playgrounds today?
When I was a kid, we did.

For enhanced effect,
hands were placed on hips
and faces mocked disdainful expressions,
playacting confidence in hope that
we were faster than the ones we were provoking.

Arriving at the pre-established 'base'
without being tagged by those we taunted
meant that we won.
Suddenly, the chasers became the ones being chased
and the giggling and taunting songs
began all over again… and again…  and again…
until the bell rang
and recess was over.

What was it about sticks and stones
that portrayed such potential for power and domination?
We never actually used any sticks or stones,
nor did we ever intend to break anyone’s bones.

And I, for one, have vivid memories
of other children calling me names ‘for real’
which hurt my child-sized heart very deeply;
I still remember some of the insulting names to this day.
No less was the intensity of my feelings
if my friend was ever bullied by insults
which attacked her identity.

Somehow, I sensed
the intangible, unseen power of a name,
whether spoken with kindness for the purpose of encouragement
or wielded as a weapon.
The few times I assigned a derogatory name to someone,
a shadow of regret overwhelmed me
and I felt such sorrow.

These childhood memories poured over my heart
like refreshing spring water
as I pondered the following passage of Scripture…

“Elijah came near to all the people and said,
‘How long will you hesitate between two opinions? 
If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.’
… Now let them give us two oxen, 
and let them choose one ox for themselves
and cut it up, and place it on the wood, but put no fire under it;
and I will prepare the other ox and lay it on the wood,
and I will not put a fire under it. 
Then you call on the name of your god,
and I will call on the name of the Lord,
and the God who answers by fire,
He is God!’

“…they prepared (the ox)
and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon saying,
‘O Baal, answer us.’ 
But there was no voice and no one answered. 
And they leaped about the altar which they made.

“It came about at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said,
‘Call out with a loud voice, for he is a god;
either he is occupied or gone aside, or is on a journey,
or perhaps he is asleep and needs to be awakened.’

“…Elijah the prophet came near
[to the altar of the Lord made of sticks and stones
which was drenched with water] and said,
‘O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel,
today let it be known that You are God in Israel
and that I am Your servant 
and I have done all these things at Your word. 
Answer me, O Lord, answer me,
that this people may know that You, O Lord, are God,
and that You have turned their heart back again.

“Then the fire of the Lord fell
and consumed the burnt offering
and the wood
and the stones…” 
~I Kings 18:20-40

No comments:

Post a Comment