Monday, February 27, 2012

Saying it louder...

Saying it louder doesn't make it right.


When you attempt to talk to someone who speaks in a foreign language,
do you say the same words over and over again, only louder?
C’mon, admit it…. You know you do!
Many people do.

We instinctively know that
increased vocal volume, along with reduced tongue velocity,
must somehow stimulate clarity and enhance comprehension...

…but in reality, it doesn’t help at all;
our words continue to be received as gibberish.

Speaking louder,
acting more spiritual,
being more dominating,
seeming more self-assured,
manipulating with psychology,
triggering emotional hot spots,
using skillfully persuasive oratory…

Is truth defined by winning?

“O Lord, who may abide in Your tent?  
Who may dwell on Your holy hill? 
He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness,
and speaks truth in his heart. 
He does not slander with his tongue…” 
~Psalm 15:1-3

Is effective conveyance of the Gospel dependent upon the brilliance
of my communication?

“For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel,
not in cleverness of speech,
so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.”
~1 Corinthians 1:17

“For I consider myself not in the least inferior to the most eminent apostles. 
But even if I am unskilled in speech,
yet I am not so in knowledge;
in fact, in every way we have made this evident to you in all things….
…As the truth of Christ is in me,
this boasting of mine will not be stopped…”
~2 Corinthians 11:5,6,10

Is it always right to be right?

“If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,
but do not have love,
I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.”
~1 Corinthians 13:1

No comments:

Post a Comment