Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Remember...

I remember…
waking often in the night
feeling our baby move inside me;
kicks, flutters,
hiccups.

I remember…
pacing, trying to walk off
the aching in my back,
hoping my leg would not give out.

I remember…
people,
even strangers,
asking when my baby was due,
some with a countenance reflecting
tender reminiscence,
others with wistful longing.

I remember…
the pangs of labor,
gauging the length of time
between one wrenching spasm
and the next,
for what seemed like an eternity.

I remember…
breathing through the intensity
of each tremor,
anticipating the next
with foreboding,
yet focusing only on the moment.

I remember…
desperately crying out to my husband,
“I can’t do this anymore!”
as he patiently held my hand
and offered his strength to me.

I remember…
hearing our child’s first tiny cry,
feeling the release of tears
flow unhindered down my face,
seeing my husband
laughing and crying
with joy.

I remember…
holding our little one,
looking into eyes that returned my gaze,
pondering, whispering, speaking
our child’s name,  
the name which was already chosen.

I remember…
wondering what this child’s future would hold,
curious,
yet content to trust
without knowing.

I remember…
praising God
for His gift of mercy to me,
for new life,
for family,
for the future.

I remember…
the gentle murmuring voices
of those surrounding me,
waxing and waning
from my awareness;
my weariness overwhelmed
by joy.

“Mary treasured all these things, 
pondering them in her heart.”  ~Luke 2:19

1 comment:

  1. Dear Arlene, this one made me cry. Love you! Merry CHRISTmas!!

    ReplyDelete