Tuesday, December 21, 2010

We Missed It

Well, I missed it.  I really planned on getting up to see it.  
To think that a total lunar eclipse on winter solstice 
occurs once every 372 years, 
and while I slept like a rock, 
this spectacular marvel of creation carried on without me. 

At 3:25 a.m., I jumped out of bed, 
threw my winter coat and scarf over my pajamas, 
stepped into my boots, 
and dashed out the door and into the snowy yard 
to find a beautiful full moon in a cloudless starry sky.  

Standing there in the breathtaking wintery mountain quiet, 
my wonderment was eclipsed by disappointment.  
I missed it.

Could it be that the inn keeper in Bethlehem 
felt regret upon realizing he had 
turned away the King of Kings?  

Or did he simply awaken the next day to 
business as usual, 
oblivious of the spectacular marvel 
which took place in his own back yard?  
~ae

No comments:

Post a Comment