Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year ~ New Path

“’We had better try a way back southwards along the line of the cliff, I think,’ said Sam.  ‘We might find some nook there, or even a cave or something.’
“’I suppose so,’ said Frodo. ‘I’m tired, and I don’t think I can scramble among stones much longer tonight – though I grudge the delay.  I wish there was a clear path in front of us:  then I’d go on until my legs gave way.’”    ~The Two Towers, by J.R.R. Tolkien

The word “new” has a pleasant ring to it;
an appeal that tends to draw us to a fresh outlook,
to stir a creative approach,
to inspire unique change. 
If something is new,
it has not been used,
it is clean,
and is still in its original packaging.

The word “new” also represents
the realm of the unknown,
lack of experience,
paths untrodden,
corners not yet turned,
words not yet spoken,
crises not yet encountered,
love not yet expressed…

It is easy to assume that
if only a glimpse of the future,
if only a grasp of the imminent,
if only a taste of what is forthcoming
could be mine,
to better savor the joy of hope,
then…

…Then what?
control would be in my hands?
expectations would be clarified?
fear would diminish?
pain would be avoided?
love would be sure?


A new year,
a new day,
a new path belongs to 
the Author of newness...
~ae
 “You will make known to me the path of life; 
in Your presence is fullness of joy; 
in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.”  
~Psalm 16:11

“Your word is a lamp to my feet 
and a light to my path.  
I have sworn and I will confirm it, 
that I will keep Your righteous ordinances.  
I am exceedingly afflicted; 
revive me, O Lord, 
according to Your word.”  
~Psalm 119:105-107


"And He who sits on the throne said, 
'Behold, I am making all things new.'”  
~Revelation 21:5

No comments:

Post a Comment