Saturday, March 5, 2011

Disappointment

I have experienced a disappointment.
I am sad.
Please join me as I process through my thoughts and emotions.
Thank you.
~ae

To point is to make a direction known
with a physical gesture,
usually with the pointing finger.

To appoint is to officially designate someone
to a position or task.

An appointment is a planned time,
a scheduled engagement
or an assignment to a position.

In contrast,
a disappointment is a failure to meet an expectation or hope of;
the state of emotion of being disappointed;
confirmed as not adequately equipped.

Shouldn’t disappointment simply indicate
that an appointment has been cancelled,
that someone’s position or task has been removed,
or that you put your finger down?

Why is it that to point,
to appoint
and to make an appointment
are usually positive mental exercises,
factual in nature,
almost never stirring or even involving emotion…

Yet when the tables are turned,
when the current ebbs,
when control is relinquished,
emotion suddenly emerges larger than life?

Before the appointment occurs,
there is no thought of giving anything up
because it doesn’t exist.

However, as soon as plans are made,
goals are in place,
action has been taken to move in a direction,
there it is…

a point of focus,
a confirmed value,
a satisfied decision…

an uncertainty made certain
then placed neatly and precisely
into a little mental box for safekeeping.

Unfortunately,
there is no allowance for change
without disrupting or destroying the box.

So, is it okay for me to feel sad
when I find out that none of my older kids
will be coming home for spring break after all? Yes.

Did I cry?  Yes.

Should I allow my emotion to carry me
into frustration?
complaining?
anger?
bitterness?
blaming?
depression?

There are instructions against these attitudes and actions
in the Scriptures.
There is also clear guidance for me
in the face of disappointments…

“But the fruit of the Spirit
is love, joy,
peace
patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness,
self-control;
against such things there is no law.

Now those who belong to Christ Jesus
have crucified the flesh
with its passions and desires.

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.”
~Galatians 5:22-25

No comments:

Post a Comment