Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vacant Stare

I’d like to think
that I do not depend upon the reactions of others
to know acceptance,
that I am not seeking approval to feel loved,
that I have an audience of One.

Still, it was difficult to say good-bye to my brother
and receive a vacant stare in return.

I know that his frontal lobe was injured
and that he is not yet capable of expressing emotion.
I know that what seems like a lifeless gaze
is simply brain synapse that has not yet been rerouted.
I know that he loves me because
he told me so when he called me last month.

Yet somehow, it felt like a knife wound to my heart
when his eyes met mine
and expressed nothing in return.

Jesus may have felt this way.
~ae    
_____        _____
/           \     /            \
/“He came  \/  to His own,\ 
/and those who were His own\ 
 \  did not receive Him.”  /
\  ~John 1:11  /
\         /
\  /

No comments:

Post a Comment