Saturday, March 19, 2011

True Rest

My brother opened his eyes this morning,
he searched for my eyes,
connected with me
and remained focused for a good portion of a minute.

I explained to him briefly
what happened,
why he was in the hospital,
that his condition was improving.

I asked him if his head hurt;
he slowly reached up with his hand
and held his forehead.

I told him that his son and daughter
were with him last night;
he inhaled deeply
then his shoulders and head relaxed
more comfortably than before.

Within minutes, his vital signs
all settled down to within normal range
For the first time in days,
he rested.

Prayerful that this quietness
which had offered his body a respite from pain and confusion
would be emulated in his soul,
I sat quietly
absorbed in the Psalms.

“You have the Word!”
The medical technician smiled.
Reveling in this common ground,
he began to speak
of his homeland, Sierra Leone,
of the suffering and oppression there,
of his opportunity in America,
of his joy in knowing Jesus.

As we shared our God-stories
and drew courage from each other
my brother rested,
yet he seemed aware.

Several hours passed.
My brother began trying to talk,
understanding and responding with purpose.
When I told him countless people
were praying for him,
he replied, “Yup… thankful…….. Jesus.”
~ae

“If the Lord had not been my help,
my soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence.
If I should say, ‘My foot has slipped,’
Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up.
When my anxious thoughts multiply within me,
Your consolations delight my soul…
The Lord has been my stronghold,
and my God the rock of my refuge.”
~Psalm 94:17-19,22

2 comments: