Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Author's Intent

Sometimes, when I see a song
written on a page,
I can hear the music inside my head
like a rippling brook.

As the melody offers a view
of the distant shoreline,
the base notes provide stepping stones
upon which the harmony skips here and there,
dancing delightfully in patterns of expression.

Occasional splashes of dissonance
are refreshed with gently flowing phrases.
The crescendo and decrescendo of pleasant breezes
toss playfully through my hair
and rustle among the shady trees
overhanging the effortless current of chorus.

Sometimes, when I see a song
written on a page,
I can hear the music inside my head
like a sinister plot.

As the melody leads me through a dark alley
of intrigue and adventure,
the pounding footsteps of base notes
warn of impending danger.
Waves of harmony crawl up my spine,
inspiring chills of expression.

Hidden from the stealthily approaching dissonance,
momentary relief is felt in phrases of composure.
The crescendo and decrescendo of peril and risk
glance off the walls of meter
and flee in rhythm’s driving force.

Sometimes, I wonder
how differently the music
resonates in the mind of the Composer.

After all, there is only so much information
that can be conveyed on paper
without hearing the music,
without feeling the intensity,
without knowing
the objective of the Author.

Music does not have a life of its own;
it is an expression of the Author’s intent.

If I were to meet the Composer,
spend time getting to know Him,
His personality, His interests,
His life experience,
His motivation to write…

If I were to ask Him specific questions
about the intricacies of His music,
ask Him who He wrote it for,
and why…

If I were to hear Him play and sing
His own composition…

If I were to sing with Him,
to blend in harmony,
to match in tone,
to feel the emotion of expression…
~ae
 Jesus prayed to God the Father;
“The glory which You have given Me
I have given to them,
that they may be one,
just as We are One;
I in them
and You in Me,
that they may be perfected in unity,
so that the world may know that You sent Me,
and loved them,
even as You have loved Me.”
~John 17:22,23

No comments:

Post a Comment