Saturday, January 29, 2011

I Believe

What does it mean to believe in myself?
   Can I swear by me?
      Are my ways reliable?
         Do I trust myself?
            Is my mind dependable?
   Am I self-confident
      to accept myself as true?
         Can I have faith in me
            to deem worthy all I do?
   I am not enough.
      I am lacking what it takes.
         I cannot not fail.
            I will always make mistakes.
   I am incomplete.
      I cannot have faith in me.
         My unworthiness
            drives me humbly to my knees.

What does it mean to believe in my friends?
   Can I trust my friends?
      Are their hearts completely true?
         If they’re harsh, if they fail,
            can my trust in them renew?
   They are not enough.
      They are lacking what it takes.
         They cannot not fail.
            They will always make mistakes.
   If I forgive them,
      will they fail me again?
         If I trust them enough,
            will they never cause me pain?
   They are incomplete,
      and no matter how they try,
         no perfection exists.
            Upon whom shall I rely?

In whom can I believe?
   There is only One
      Who is worthy to believe,
        Who is more than able
            and Who never will deceive.
   I can swear by Him.
      I can take Him at His Word.
         I can trust in Him
            and have confidence assured.
   I can wholly depend
      that His promises are true.
         His great faithfulness
            every morning is brand new.
   Jesus is enough.
      He has everything it takes.
         Jesus never fails
            and He never makes mistakes.
  He made me complete
      for His Life I have received.
         All my worthiness
            dwells in Whom I have believed.
~ae
“For if Abraham was justified by works,
he has something to boast about,
but not before God. 
For what does the Scripture say? 
‘Abraham believed God,
and it was credited to him as righteousness.’” 
~Romans 4:2,3

No comments:

Post a Comment