Sunday, January 16, 2011

He Died for Me

"He died for me," she said, her voice firm, "and I have to live for him."
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske and David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times
January 17, 2011
Quoting Mavanell "Mavy" Stoddard, whose husband shielded her from a gunman’s attack.

This very real event captured the nation’s attention
with the sobering reality;
we met face to face with
more than a vivid picture of our own mortality.

Why was this murder different
than other tragic losses of life?

Mrs. Stoddard lives
because her husband sacrificed himself
for her.

This action is
not within the grasp of logic,
not in keeping with independence,
not declaring human rights or privileges.

And it was not a kneejerk reaction.

Mr. Stoddard began preparing
for this moment
when he first looked into her eyes,
when he said, “I do…until death do us part…”
when he chose to love her sacrificially
day by day,
through the big decisions in their marriage,
and moment by moment
through the little things of life.

He was well-versed in the art
of sacrifice.
If only he didn’t need to… but he did.

There was another,
a very real event which captured my attention
with the sobering reality;
I met face to face with
more than a vivid picture of my own mortality.

I live
because Jesus sacrificed Himself
for me.
~ae

“For one will hardly die for a righteous man;
though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die.
But God demonstrates His own love toward us,
in that while we were yet sinners,
Christ died for us.”
~Romans 5:7,8

No comments:

Post a Comment