Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Own Front Door

This morning, I stumbled upon a surprise
in a way which seemed somewhat absurd;
I wandered outside through my own front door,
finally noticing what had occurred
          several weeks ago, though I had not a clue
          that it had been there all this time;
          there lay on the porch my best stainless steel pan
          filled with firecrackers and dried slime.

The banging of pots and of pans with big spoons
to ring in the new year was so fun.
To be sure that the cracklers would crackle no more,
they were soaked in a pan by someone
          who was thinking ahead, and was careful and smart
          and who knew the porch was made of wood.
          So they left it out there in the cold winter air
          and came in to play games and eat food.

Well, how would I know that my fry pan was there
decorating our front porch with yuck;
I always go out to do this or do that
through our back door which leads to my truck.
          When company comes to the front door, I smile,
          and I open the door at their knocks,
          and bid them come in to our warm cozy house;
          I don’t step out because I’m in socks.

As I pondered and thought about my frying pan
and about how it sat undetected,
it occurred to me how unaware I can be
and how crucial things can be neglected.
          My guests were so kind, as if they didn’t mind
          stepping over this thing to come in.
          Just so, my good friends are forgiving and kind,
          overlooking the fact that I sin.

As I brought the pan in and I scrubbed it all clean,
I implored God to scour my heart;
after all, it’s His house, and it should be kept tidy
to honor Him in every part,
          especially the front door where friendship and love
          enters into my heart through that way;
          my selfishness shouldn’t be there to distract
          them from seeing God’s love on display.
~ae

No comments:

Post a Comment