Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jesus ~ Door

Door:
“So Jesus said to them again,
‘Truly, truly, I say to you,
I am the door of the sheep.
All who came before me are thieves and robbers,
but the sheep did not hear them.
I am the door;
if anyone enters through Me,
he will be saved,
and will go in and out and find pasture’”.
~ John 10:7-9

I dug around to find my purse and keys
deep down in the belly of the shopping cart
which was filled with bags of groceries and children of various sizes and volumes.

Grabbing the van door handle,
while mentally preparing how best to transfer the masses,
and prioritizing the list in my head of the other things
that I would need to accomplish while I was in town,
and mulling over a deep conversation I had had with a friend recently,
and trying to calculate when the baby was last fed
and reevaluating how much of my list was realistic
before she was ready to eat again,
I flung the door open…

Frozen, I stared at the unfamiliar pink sweater
on the passenger seat.
Wait… this van didn’t smell like French fries,
and I knew that I didn’t forget the diaper bag this time…
Why wasn’t it on the floor between the seats?

As the fog in my brain cleared, I felt the children tugging at my sleeve
and saying something about the van…

*GASP*  Horror!
It wasn’t our van!!!

Talk about an adrenalin rush!
I couldn’t get away from that strange vehicle quick enough.

After the kids were finally buckled in,
the groceries stacked in the back,
and my key fit into the ignition of our very own van,
I breathed a huge sigh of relief…

Jesus is the Door,
the right Door,
the only Door through which I may enter into His rest.

The experiences of joyful elation I have felt upon drawing near to Him
offer intense feelings of relief,
especially after I face the Truth,
and that which is not true is revealed.

In contrast,
a life bombarded by distraction, by temptation, by sin
harbors looming uncertainty, lack of fulfillment
and a key that won’t fit.

Upon entrance through the one true Door
there is safety, security
and hope.

1 comment:

  1. :) Jesus is the right door. nicely illustrated, arlene. <3

    ReplyDelete