Monday, December 12, 2011

Jesus ~ Horn of Salvation

Horn of Salvation:
“And has raised up
a horn of salvation for us
in the house of his servant David.”
~ Luke 1:69

The ancient Hawaiian people
were under the thumb of aggressive authoritarian rule.
The chief and all of his wealth and possessions
were protected and deemed untouchable;
the locals were even forbidden to walk in his footsteps
or cast shadows upon the royal grounds.

Violating this sacred kapu
would surely anger the gods;
such action was punishable by immediate death.

The criminal would take off running,
hopefully faster than his many pursuers,
until he came to a pu’uhonua, or place of refuge,
where he could be pardoned by a kahuna, or priest,
by way of a purification ceremony.

He was free to function, once again, in society,
just as if he had never broken kapu.

“The Lord is my rock
and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
my shield and
the horn of my salvation,
my stronghold.”
~Psalm 18:2

“’The horn of Moab has been cut off
 and his arm broken,’ declares the Lord.”
~Jeremiah 48:25

“…He will give strength to his kind,
and will exalt the horn of His anointed.”
~I Samuel 2:10

Horns represent strength and power.

“And Adonijah was afraid of Solomon, and he arose,
went and took hold of the horns of the altar.”
~I Kings 1:50

“And Joab fled to the tent of the Lord
and took hold of the horns of the altar.”
~I Kings 2:28

The horns located at the four corners of the altar
signified refuge and safety;
those who grasped these horns
were considered to be under the protection of the Lord.

Zacharias prophesied (Luke 1:69) that
Jesus Christ came to earth
to replace the horns of the altar.

Jesus, the Mighty Redeemer,
the Horn of Salvation,
is able to save.
Those who run to Him shall find refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment