Sunday, December 18, 2011

Jesus ~ Mediator

Mediator:
“For there is one God,
and one mediator between God and men,
the man Christ Jesus…”
~I Timothy 2:5

Mediator:  someone who intervenes between two parties
                to resolve a conflict or ratify a covenant.

“Therefore He is the mediator of a new covenant,
so that those who are called
may receive the promised eternal inheritance,
since a death has occurred
that redeems them from the transgressions
committed under the first covenant. 

For where a will is involved,
the death of the one who made it must be established. 
For a will only takes effect only at death,
since it is not in force
as long as the one who made it is alive. 
Therefore not even the first covenant
was inaugurated without blood.” 
~Hebrews 9:15-18

“You have come… to Jesus,
the mediator of a new covenant,
and to the sprinkled blood
that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.”
~Hebrews 12:22,24

After reading through these Scriptures and typing them out,
I went to bed for the night.
Soon, I began dreaming that I was in a courtroom
filled with witnesses of my every sin;
every witness was Jesus.

The voice of Jesus called the session to order;
He was the Judge presiding over the hearing.

Then He stepped down from His place
and began to walk to and fro in the front of the courtroom.
Proclaiming Himself as the Lawgiver,
His gaze fixed upon me as he read the Books of the Law
which He had written.

When all was declared, I felt numb,
unable to utter a single word on my own behalf.

Jesus began speaking as my attorney,
standing in my defense.
Then He methodically declared my deeds as His own.
He presented, as evidence to the court, the scars in his wrists.

He removed his white cloak
and draped it over my shoulders.

I watched as they took Him away
instead of me.

How could Jesus be the Judge, the Lawgiver,
the Mediator and the Witness all at once?
How could He step down
from each and all of these powers to rule?
How could He take my death sentence upon Himself?

He is God.
 “For I am convinced
that neither death nor life,
nor angels nor principalities,
nor things present nor things to come,
nor powers, nor height nor depth,
nor any other created thing
will be able to separate us
from the love of God
which is in Christ Jesus, our Lord.”
~Romans 8:38,39

No comments:

Post a Comment