Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Hand of God

   Familiar phrases like, “I gotta hand it to ya’.”… ”Couldn’t do without my right hand man.”… “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”  I’ve heard them hundreds of times, and each time they simply breeze in one ear and out the other without stirring any brain cells into action. 
   As in many experiences in life, the availability of something can be taken for granted until its usefulness is hindered… like my right hand, for example.  It is only a simple damaged tendon which will likely heal over time.  Meanwhile, for the few months it must remain immobilized, my only recourse is to depend on others while sending my left hand to night school for courses like Usefulness 101, Overcoming Stupidity and Basic Writing Skills.
   But what is the importance of a hand?  Is the use of a hand really that valuable in the grand scheme of things?  Does God use His hands for special purposes?  What role does the use of a hand play in His communication with me?  Does He have expectations for my hands?  How do His hands replace mine when they become useless?
   His Word is not silent…

   Exod. 33:21,22  “Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by.”
   Deut.33:2,3  “He came from the midst of ten thousand holy ones; at His right hand there was flashing lightning for them.  Indeed, He loves the people; all Your holy ones are in Your hand.”
   Neh. 2:8,18  “And the king granted (timber) to me because the good hand of my God was on me.”… “Then they said, ‘Let us arise and build.’  So they put their hands to the good work.”
   Psalm 16:11  “In Your presence is fullness of joy;  In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.”
   Psalm 24:3,4  “And who may stand in His holy place?  He who has clean hands and pure heart.”
   Psalm 137:5  “May my right hand forget her skill… if I do not remember You.”
   Prov. 3:16  “How blessed is the man who finds wisdom… Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor.”
   Isa. 40:12  “Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand…?”
   Dan. 4:35  (Nebuchadnezzar’s reason returned, and he blessed the Lord) “…He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and no one can ward off His hand…”
   Mark 14:62  “I am (the Christ); and you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power…”
   Mark 16:19  “So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.”
   John 10:29  “My Father who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”
   II Cor. 5:1  “For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”
   I Tim 2:8  “Therefore, I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath or dissention.”
   Hebr. 10:31  “It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
   I John 1:1,4  “What was from the beginning… what we have touched with our hands concerning the Word of Life... we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ… so that our joy may be made complete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment