Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lame Excuses

Lying, deception, resentment, uncontrolled rage, refusal to submit or admit weakness…  When false courage is conjured, then armed with self-justification and a loose tongue, lame excuses seem to spew out unhindered. 

Aaron:  “I said to them, ‘Whoever has any gold, let them tear it off.’   So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf.”  ~Exodus 32:24

Cain:  “I do not know.  Am I my brother’s keeper?”  ~Genesis 4:9

Laban:  “It is not the practice in our place to marry off the younger before the firstborn.”  ~Genesis 29:26

Balaam:  “Because you (donkey) have made a mockery of me!”  ~ Numbers 22:29

Elders of Israel:  “No, but there shall be a king over us, that we also may be like all the nations, that our king may judge us and go out before us and fight our battles.”  
~I Samuel 8:19-20

Saul:  “Because I saw that the people were scattering from me, and that you did not come within the appointed days and that the Philistines were assembling at Michmash, therefore I said, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not asked the favor of the Lord.’ So I forced myself and offered the burnt offering.”  ~I Samuel 13:11-12

Herod:  “Go and search carefully for the Child; and when you have found Him, report to me, so that I too may come and worship Him.”  ~Matthew 2:8

Peter:  “But he began to curse and swear, ‘I do not know this man you are talking about!’”  ~Mark 14:71

Pilate:  "I am innocent of this Man’s blood; see to that yourselves.”  ~Matthew 27:24

Invited Guests:  “I have bought a piece of land and I need to go out and look at it; please consider me excused.”… “I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out; please consider me excused.”… “I have married a wife, and for that reason I cannot come.”  ~Luke 14:18-20

I must admit, I had a good chuckle at Aaron’s expense.  But upon examining these Biblical examples, with the advantage of hindsight to offer a whole perspective, it is sobering to see the collection of devastating costs as a result of these lame excuses.

Unfortunately, lame excuses are still a popular practice.  So once the words are out of the mouth or the deed is done, how can things be made right again? 

God saw the obstinate people and was angry, but Moses had not yet seen the golden calf.  Moses pled with the Lord for His people by reminding Him of His promises, of His covenant, and of His kingdom 
(Exodus 32:11-14). 

Lame excuses are not a surprise to God, nor do they please Him.  We, also, are in desperate need of His mercies.  As we praise Him for the gift of His Son, we must not take this precious gift for granted.
~ae

No comments:

Post a Comment