Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Dear, Youthful Student

Oh, what is the purpose of Algebra II?
And how many history reports must I do?
Is science so vital?  Must I know these terms?
And grammar… ugh, grammar… I’d rather eat worms!

My dear, youthful student, look beyond the drill
Of circles your #2 pencil to fill.
Algebra sharpens your logic and reason;
Two valuable assets for every life season.

Wise and discerning stewards are admired.
To whom much is given, much is required.
With the future at hand, we must recall well
The cyclical patterns, His story to tell.

We learn, we discover, the evidence stands;
All nature bears witness of God’s mighty hands.
Now then… What of grammar, you say with some mirth?
What is the connection to God and His worth?

My dear, youthful student, we’ve not far to look.
Please join in review of your own grammar book.
Plain common nouns, like lamb, door and bread,
Are worthy of praise when made proper instead.

The simplest sentence conveys complete thought,
And consistent usage of tense must be taught.
But God, in His fullness, makes each tense the same
In one grand simple sentence; “I AM” is His name.

Next, take the object of the preposition.
Does this speak of God and His hand of provision?
“I am thankful.”  Wait!  Finish… am thankful to whom?
The prepositional phrase has no room.

My dear, youthful student, please give up your pride.
For though it’s not written, His Name is implied.
His Being pervades everything that we see,
For in all, above all, and through all is He.

Let His mind be in you, let His knowledge impart
Understanding and wisdom and softness of heart.
And when studying loses appeal and glamour,
Focus on Jesus… Yes, even in grammar!
~ae   11/26/2000
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.”
~Phil. 2:5

1 comment:

  1. But God, in His fullness, makes each tense the same
    In one grand simple sentence; “I AM” is His name

    love this phrase. love you!

    ReplyDelete