Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Power of Prayer

I gazed at the mountain,
A haven of peace,
Yet hope seemed illusive
As troubles increased.

My body was weary
From writhing, from strain,
The fits of convulsion
Left me in such pain.

A “something” within me
Had been in control,
Its presence had certainly
Taken its toll.

One day I awoke
To find faces of men
Hovering o’er me
And praying again.

Oh, why did they do this?
It had no effect!
Yet father implored them
To cure my defect.

“Bring him to Me!”
Someone mouthed a command.
His eyes held mine captive;
I reached for His hand.

Instantly, my soul
Exploded with rage,
Seething as never
Before in my cage.

Voices within me
And voices without,
Growling, snarling,
Leaping about.

More powerful still
Were His words so plain,
“I command you, come out.
Do not enter again.”

Its grasp began slipping
From sinew, from bone.
With one final spasm,
‘Twas gone.  I was stone.

A hush… Silence…
Completely at rest.
So fully content,
So incredibly blessed!

Aware of His presence
My hope had returned.
My life in His wholeness
Was all that I yearned.

Then feeling His almighty
Life-giving hand
Clasp firmly in mine,
He drew me to stand.

Such strength to cast demons!
His pow’r came from where?
‘Twas my Lord, with His Father,
Communing in prayer!
~ae   08/30/2000

... read Mark 9:17-29

No comments:

Post a Comment